June 4, 2010

I've Been Castled


Actually, it isn't what I crave. I've never had a White Castle burger until last night.

Our church has facilities that permit us to house people in times of need (showers, room for folding cots, etc.). We offer hospitality to homeless families one week a month, one of a number of churches that have combined for mission in that field. Last night, the Red Cross Emergency Shelter team enacted a mock drill to prepare us for response to a large number of homeless families due to an emergency. (Our "emergency" was an apartment fire that displaced fifty people.)

It went well. I managed to contain a "member of the press" to the public areas and keep him busy and informed without violating the privacy of our residents. This was our second mock drill, and we still have a few bugs to work out, but our team of about fifty volunteers could respond now and do a good job, I think.

Our reward at the end of the drill was dinner. And dinner was nothing but White Castle hamburgers. They're okay, I suppose. The Red Cross serves food that is donated by local businesses, so we can't complain. But even after I removed just about all those little onions, they haunted me the rest of the evening. I took four Tums over the course of the night.

Maybe next time Chick-fil-A will donate dinner.

7 comments:

bigislandjeepguy said...

i love chik-fil-a! sadly, we don't have one here on the island. the closest i can get to their chicken sandwich is mcdonald's southern-style chicken sandwich, which i think is pretty good. of course, if i actually ATE a chik-fil-a sandwich anytime in the future, i would probably argue that. but you take what you can get when you live on an island way out here :)

Rox said...

I've never had a White Castle Burger and based on your review, I may pass up any future opportunities!

Blobby said...

I've never eaten White Castle while being sober. ....and back in the day, I ate those sliders a LOT!

It really was all about the onion chips though.

I can never imagine going there again though.

tornwordo said...

Too bad about the onions. I adore them and could eat them like I do an apple. Never tried a white castle burger though. In-n-Out burger cannot be improved on imho.

Ur-spo said...

Chick-fil-A Is something we avoid.
Although they are virtuous and keep their stores closed on Sundays, for the Lord's Day/ their employees can be going to church with their families, we have a suspicion their pro-family is also youknowhat.

Jess said...

White Castle is dangerous stuff! But maybe I'm a food slob, because I don't care for Chick-fil-A fan, either. Now if they got Steak 'n Shake to donate dinner, that's fast food that would get me to come help! ;)

Jess said...

That was supposed to be "food snob," not slob. (Typographic Freudian slip?) :-)