September 2, 2011

The Music Is Back

Thanks to the urging of kind friends, I took your advice to try the music again, and it's working. My choices are more low-key, but then that's always been my bent anyway.

I'm feeling better, thank you.

Monday afternoon, the chemo infusion was relatively benign, and I had my "chemo buddy" there to chat about possible reactions and how she dealt with them. Ben was working that evening, so my next-door neighbor Dee came to babysit and grade her math papers. She was wonderful. My reactions changed hourly, and it was very strange. Ultimately I had to hit the vomitorium, but she didn't blink—she had the cold cloth ready before I was. It was a rough night, but I've had worse with food poisoning; so while it was unpleasant it wasn't too scary. Dee didn't leave until after I had gone to sleep.

Things calmed down as the hours passed, and I was able to eat on Wednesday. I've had five meals in a row now—all from loving friends who cooked up some wonderful food—and I'm feeling SO much better now. I'm told the flaky feeling that lingers only gets worse, but who's going to notice? I was pretty flaky before this started, so I don't think I can count this as a side effect.

I had my hair cut very, very short yesterday. I can expect to lose it all within a week or two, and experienced friends tell me it's less traumatic to lose short hair. Now I'll be sharing a fashion look similar to many of my gay buds. Just call me "sir." :) As I experiment with headgear, I might share some of the dressing room delights.

I write more freely here, but I do have a CaringBridge.org web page that has been set up by a loving and very organized friend of mine. If you want access to those posts, please email me at birdoparadise AT sbcglobal DOT net and I'll give you the details. It has more of the day-to-day info that isn't as revealing but gives the ongoing process.

The music is back, dear friends, and you never left. I continue to receive life-giving messages of love, concern and support—and laughter. Keeps those laughs coming! I love every one of them.

Big hugs to all of you.

7 comments:

Rox said...

You should bleach your hair and put some Pink in it or something! C'mon! It would be fun! And temporary, as most things in life are.

Glad to hear you have people at your side propping you up. I've been thinking of you every single day...sending all my good vibes south WITH THE GEESE.

Birdie said...

Rox, every time I see and hear those geese, I'll think of your note. :D

And if it weren't for Sunday mornings at church, I'd be all over a bright pink mohawk. *sigh*

THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

Pink hair would solidify your standing with the kids as the coolest teacher at church. I'm just saying. With your coloring, you would be great as a redhead or strawberry blonde, too. Now is your chance, Barbie!

I'm so glad that you have people there to love you back to health. If we were there, Rox and I would be fighting over you. (Aren't you glad we're not?) Let people help you. It will do them good.

Brian R said...

Continuing to think of you. I posted in my blog and while it is read by only a few, it was picked up by 2 very popular bloggers, one in Louisiana and the other in the UK so you can be sure that there are hundreds of Episcopalians/Anglicans praying for you now. Mimi from Louisiana wants you to know that she is a 26 year survivor of breast cancer.
Hugs
Brian

Ur-spo said...

laughter is the best medicine, indeed.

Soon you can draw gaily coloured objects and rude statements on your head, which freaks out the doctors, who call the psychiatrists and it is jolly good fun to do.

Blobby said...

I like this writing. I know it's a pain, but you've got a good support system, so it sounds.

...and let me tell you, the bald look is WHERE it's at!

Jeffrey said...

Hi :-)

Ask if there is a massage therapist who can work with you during your infusion (make certain they are trained to work with a cancer patient, though - there are specific changes to their work they will need to know about). I'm a massage therapist trained to work with people during and after cancer treatment, and I work in our infusion center each week. The massage can help with discomfort (it keeps you centered and also physically helps), and the therapist can possibly help you cope by showing you things you can do at home. If nausea is an issue, look up "Pericardium 6" point (on inner wrist, helps with anxiety and nausea) - there is a significant study in one of the nursing journals about using this point to reduce nausea during radiation and infusion. Cheers :-) Hope this is of some help.