November 17, 2008

Meet Jack

Everyone, meet Jack. (Jack, this is everyone.) He appeared on Towleroad this morning as the only protester to show at Ft. Myers City Hall on Saturday. He's a friend of mine.

Jack is the man who, along with one other, helped me almost three years ago through an emotional crisis. He nurtured me and then gave me a swift kick, encouraging me to grow and change. He is one of the main reasons I am here today, trying to change the status quo in my church and my world. He also offered wise counsel as I dealt with Ben this past spring and summer. This "Tough Old Bird" has a heart of gold, helping anyone he sees in need as he struggles to make ends meet with his retirement and a mother in need of health care. Go say hello at the Towleroad post to a man who deserves everyone's respect.

5 comments:

Rox said...

I like his message!

Joe Jubinville said...

Kudos, Jack.

Sometimes you have to stand alone. And I admire anybody with the guts to do it. This is my take-away from the whole weekend of protests and parades. Thanks, dear bird.

Bandana Jack said...

i woulda cleaned up some if i knew you were going to introduce me to your friends. [grin]

i went back and read some of your earlier posts. some moved me, some made me chuckle, one struck me as being a window into who i am.

a few years back, garth brooks, riding the top of the charts, ALL the charts recorded and performed a song that spoke to me as had no other since "killing me softly with his song" and for far more personal reasons. the song is called "standing outside the fire" and there is nothing "country" about it. in fact, i think it defies genre.

here are the lyrics:

We call them cool
Those hearts that have no scars to show
The ones that never do let go
And risk the tables being turned

We call them fools
Who have to dance within the flame
Who chance the sorrow and the shame
That always comes with getting burned

But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

We call them strong
Those who can face this world alone
Who seem to get by on their own
Those who will never take the fall

We call them weak
Who are unable to resist
The slightest chance love might exist
And for that forsake it all

They're so hell-bent on giving ,walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

Standing outside the fire
Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

There's this love that is burning
Deep in my soul
Constantly yearning to get out of control
Wanting to fly higher and higher
I can't abide
Standing outside the fire

Standing outside the fire
Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire


even reading it gives me chills. because i heard this, i now know me, who i am, why i do what i do.

jack

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Love the sign Jack! Thanks Birdie. :)

Jess said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful friend with us! And yes, I love his sign, too!