November 15, 2008

What's Your Sign?

My plans for Saturday changed late Friday night, so I had nothing but work planned for midday. When I finished there, I made a last-second decision to join the protesters downtown. I hastily put together a sign on a yardstick and drove downtown. Abe was watching a game and didn't miss me. Here's my sign:

The protesters who showed up at the City-County courthouse were enthusiastic but few, no doubt due in part to the wet, cold and windy weather. I would guess about 60 were there when I finally was able to make it at about 3:00. For a metropolitan area of 1.7 million, that is pretty disappointing. (I have since learned that early demonstrators numbered about 250.)




The only counter-protesters were a single man across the street and a black family with very young children holding signs with their version of Christian messages. I stood next to the family with my own sign. I had a great talk with the "Don't hate love" boys. 

I'm a child of the 60s, but this was my first protest. I'm glad I was there. At the end of our alloted time, a number of people asked to shake my hand. I didn't expect that, but it was a great way to end the day.

8 comments:

Trailboss said...

Good for you. I am so tired of the government telling us what we can and can't do in our private lives. I am a straight married woman but I am so tired of people being treated different just because they feel a different way that me. My brother is gay, he doesn't necessarily want to get married but someday he might. Besides, it's the principal of it dang it.

Anonymous said...

The protest today in Lexinton, KY where I was surprisingly was full of people gay and straight.

Chicago was 10,000 strong and stopped traffic, so reports AC! Lord only knows what happened here in SF (I"m home, btw). 30,000 were expected.

Ur-spo said...

I am so proud for you for going.
I hope it makes a difference
I hope that we will all stand up for each other's issues.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Thank you Birdie for speaking up. I really can't say everything that is on my mind about this other than 'thank you'.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Birdie--you're the greatest! There weren't any protests hereabouts, only in Boston...so I'm grateful my friends went in so many different locations.

tornwordo said...

I'm honored to know you.

dpaste said...

Go Birdie, Go Birdie, go go go Birdie!

Vic Mansfield said...

Thanks you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! You are the Big BIrd!