December 3, 2008

I'm Banned From YouTube For Life

Yeah, you read right. 

I'm using Abe's computer while my laptop's in the shop for.ev.er, and since my cookie isn't on this computer, I had to sign in on YouTube. I haven't had to do that in months, maybe over a year. But instead of my account popping up, I got a message on a red bar that read "Your account has been permanently disabled." There was an explanation that this occurs when YouTube finds "violation of copyright laws, community guidelines, or evidence of predatory behavior." They went further to state that I am banned from establishing any new account under any email address, and if I attempt to do so that account will also be banned for all time. Or words to that effect.

WTF?! Excuse me?! ME?! Well, no. Not me. I need to find out how long this has been in effect and for what reason. If it's for viewing something, I need to talk to my son. If it's for uploading or flaming, I need to talk to my daughter and/or her friends. Either way, I'm the one who's banned, for the rest of my life, from having a YouTube account.

I've also been barred from getting an answer from them too, apparently. I cannot post a question because I don't have an account. I tried the phone number, but they gleefully admit they have no live customer service and refer me to the online "Help" menu. 

I can still view videos that do not have a warning or an age requirement. So thank heaven, Barney the dinosaur is still available to me.* But I can never upload (for the first time) or post (again) any YouTube video. I may try a new account, just to see. But can they actually detect my new account through a different email address? Anyone out there know anything?

*Bitter, party of one.

12 comments:

Java said...

Oh good grief! And there seems to be no appeals process since they won't allow you to contact them. That's a royal pain. I hope you can get it fixed.

bigislandjeepguy said...

ok, i literally laughed out loud when i read this post. YOU? banned? (and thank you for the "WTF"! hahaha!)

i admit it. i HAD you banned. and you know why? because everytime i get word verification on your blog, i get "words" like rloqpvsztr or something like that. you cannot do things like that and not expect repercussion. just sayn'.

Doug said...

I don't know if they can detect if you create a second account. It seems effed up that you can't get an answer from them. Hopefully this has already been resolved.

Ur-spo said...

dear me
I have never heard of such a thing
Do tell us more when you get more information.

Rox said...

I am also gobsmacked by this. YOU?

I think you have some research ahead of you...

:)

Patrick said...

Goodness. Yet another reminder of how much the internet is still the Wild West. Like we needed another one, right? What randomness. I'd be surprised if they'd be able to detect you from a different computer as well, and wonder if simply erasing all the cookies from your own computer would be enough, but I don't really know. It does seem odd that the appeal process is elusive or non-existent. Do keep us posted. I only just this week broke down and GOT a Youtube account; I guess I should count myself lucky, and remember that with great power comes great responsibility.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Seems you are not the only one, I read where some others in blogland were banned for stupid things. For example if you made a video with a song playing in the background, copy rights blah blah blah. Looks like the net is becoming less and less open and free with ideas etc. Plus however Birdie I just really knew you were bad some how! Hahahaha! :)

Tate said...

That is both perplexing and a bit ominous. Big brother is watching you my friend. YOU of all people though? Perhaps one of the most kind and gentle persons I have ever read in blogland? Unbelievable...

Anonymous said...

This is just bizarre. (Of course, that Patrick now has a YouTube account is perhaps a sign of the coming apocolypse, so maybe this is just more of that.)

Let us know how a new account works out, eh?

BigIsland may be on to something...my word verif today is "couth". Anyone else seeing more actual words lately?

Bill said...

Wow!
I had no idea that you were a criminal!
This world is filled with surprises.

tornwordo said...

They have pulled my videos for copyright (I had a song in the background) but I didn't get banned. Spouse is banned from google adsense for life and it hardly seems fair. Life is a long time.

Bandana Jack said...

here's what i can ad to the discussion...

yes they can tell it is you by your ip address in combination with cookies and your email address. if you change isp's, get a new computer, and take a gmail account, you are once again a (youtube) virgin.

no, you can't be banned for what you view, so you can go back to watching the naked go go boys.

talk to a certain bay city gent you know. i am sure he can give you the precise info to resume operation.

ps: there are a number of other video sites out there, some with better policy than youtube in reference to length and size of videos, if POSTING videos is your main use.