December 19, 2008

It's Just Not Christmas...


...without certain things we come to expect every year. In our house, we have to view our small collection of Christmas movies. The top of the list for me is "A Christmas Story." Abe can't live without Charlie Brown. We all enjoy three different versions of "A Christmas Carol, " my favorite being the Muppet tale. We've already had our annual viewing of "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."

Movies aside, we've developed a few traditions that some may not have. My favorite is exchanging a "mystery gift" with my sister. All year we're on the lookout for something odd that must be guessed by the recipient. We can ask any number of yes/no questions. If I'm stumped, I can ask what it is after New Year's Day. Not that I ever have. Give up? Never! It took two years to guess the stupid shoe thingy. It gets harder every year as we exhaust gimmicky kitchen tools. Now I've moved on to hunting accessories. (Shhhhh.) Last year's portable spittoon lid for a beer can was a hit. Top that.

3 comments:

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Charlie Brown, a must see for me at Christmas but I also love that movie, poor kid, pink bunny pjs = scarred for life! ;)

Great minds think alike, however I did a post on bad Christmas movies after watching a total dud the other night.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...your sisters gift exchange sounds like great fun! "It's a Wonderful Life" is my personal must-see, but do like lots of them...even some of the super-cheese. I'm afraid I'm behind on everything this year, though I did get to watch "Holiday Inn" last night.

Bandana Jack said...

bah! humbug!