September 5, 2009

Woman Bites Gator

I forgot to tell you!


A new item on O'Leary's menu is Gator Bites, batter-dipped and fried alligator, served with mustard sauce. Well, you know I had to try it. Not bad: mild, bright white, more like fish than chicken. Kelly had a similar reaction. In this dish there was more flavor in the batter than in the gator.

Alligator season comes and goes in Florida; they open the season when the population gets too great. I'd tried grilled gator many years ago at Kelly's barbecue. It's better fried.

Image courtesy of Columbus Foodie.

7 comments:

Java said...

It looks tasty. I'm hungry, so that helps.

tornwordo said...

I'm on board for anything battered and fried.

the hobbit said...

Yes, and yes. I had alligator ages ago and loved it. (Of course, it was batter-friend, and, being a southern boy, if it's battered and fried, I'm in love.)

Blobby said...

I'm not Tornwordo...or you.

I'm good w/fried foods, but it would have been better you told me what it was after I ate it.

Being it might have been before, I would have left them on my plate.

Joe Jubinville said...

I've eaten piles of batter-dipped fried shrimp at O'Leary's, but never gator. But as you say, it's a seasonal thing. My brother and I had some at his favorite roadside bar on Pine Island. I thought it tasted like dinosaur, which is to say, yeah, chicken.

THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

I've eaten gator before. Not bad, but I think what I liked the best about it was being able to say "I've eaten gator". :)

Ur-spo said...

I will pass thank you. They don't look kosher to me!