February 15, 2011

The One Thing

As I sit here in the Sarasota airport watching the sun set on my vacation, I am recalling the conversation I had with David on the flight here. In the midst of all our talk about advocacy, I asked him, "What's the one thing you wish people knew?"

David offered a moving soliloquy about the humanity of gay people. He wished straight people would see him as a fellow human being with one very small difference, a difference that counts so little in the grand scheme of things. He is not an issue, he is a human being who works, loves, and helps those around him. His is a compelling argument.

What about you? What's the one thing you wish people knew?

8 comments:

the hobbit said...

That anyone is welcome to think whatever they want in private, but public space is not a place for ANYONE's morality (even if we agree). Public space is for respect. I have to deal with it all the time. Why is that so difficult for people of privilege to understand?

THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

Today......that I'm not really a bitch. Maybe something different tomorrow.

rox said...

I wish people knew how to clean up after themselves. I don't think my response is what you were looking for though. :)

Ur-spo said...

that nothing in life is to be feared, but only understood.
Marie Curie said this.

Beartoast said...

I'd agree with David. If folk would understand that gay is not just about sex. It's about love, not just lust. What's so different there?

Well, I hope to have that love, one day.

The Milkman said...

I wish people knew that education is the silver bullet, and the only effective weapon against being manipulated by Republicans into voting out of fear or hatred, and against one's own best interest.

Send some thoughts to us in Wisconsin, would you? A little good karma woudl be richly appreciated.

tornwordo said...

I like what David said and feel much the same. I think I spread that word by my actions in the world. Look how incredibly banal my life is, just like yours with ups and downs, friends and family, jobs and pets.

Catherine said...

I wish people knew that same-sex marriage is not a different institution than 'regular' marriage. There's just marriage, and to label it 'same-sex' marriage enables people to think it's somehow foreign, so it's okay to be against it.