November 8, 2009

A New Day

I’m having trouble sleeping lately. It’s easy enough falling asleep, as I usually do, quickly and deeply. But I awaken in the wee hours and can’t fall back asleep.

I’m dealing with change. Isn’t that what it always comes down to? In my case, my job description is changing to the point where I am no longer the square peg in a square hole. I have done—and done well—what I was hired to do, and they don’t need those skills any longer. I have some choices to make and none of them are without risk. There is a price to pay no matter which way I go.

If I stay, I must exercise skills that do not come naturally or easily. Being an administrator and recruiter are totally out of my comfort zone. I’ve done it before and well, but it ate me alive. And if I stay, I must give up a substantial portion of my already low pay. If it isn’t already obvious, I’m not particularly eager to stay under these conditions. But it’s a job.

If I leave, I’ll probably have to start over. That’s not a new experience for me; I’ve had three careers* to date, and I’ve been successful in each one, meeting my goals every time. Starting over in this economy is what has me hesitating. There are no guarantees whatsoever that I’ll be able to cover even my current meager income. Small as it is, we depend on it in our household budget.

I’ve learned that there are three things I need to be happy in my work: independence, creativity and making a difference. (Somehow money never made that list. Dangit.) Note that a job title is not part of the list. I can translate my skills just about anywhere. So what can I do? I can take diverse and complex information and make it simple. I find common themes and core ideas and make them accessible. It’s why I can teach. I’m a stickler for grammar, punctuation, accuracy and clarity. I’m a good writer and a great editor with a strong work ethic.

Since I’m going for the gold here, I want to do all this online as much as possible. I want the freedom I used to have, to do the job well and on time in the manner that suits me best: at home, on the road, or on the beach.

I don’t want or need sympathy. I have friends who are reeling from losing long-term full-time jobs with no prospects in sight. My issue is minor by comparison. What I would like are leads. Somebody knows someone who needs a person just like me. So I’m going to throw out the request and see what happens: if you have any sort of lead, any direction in which I might turn, email me at birdoparadise (at) sbcglobal (dot) net. I don’t care if it doesn’t bear fruit directly, but you just never know.

Thank you for your good wishes and any information you send my way.


*Language Arts teacher, corporate sales trainer, and Sunday School director/curriculum writer.

7 comments:

Java said...

I don't know anything that might help you even indirectly, but I like this post anyway. Your list of things that make a job good for you; independence, creativity, and making a difference, are about the same things I need. I had all of those things (well, light on the creativity) as a school bus driver. I also had high stress, low pay, and virtually no intellectual stimulation. It was difficult for me to leave that job, though, because it did satisfy many of my needs. I don't miss it very much and wouldn't do it again unless I really had to, but I'm glad I had the experience.

Good luck!

A Lewis said...

I have found that it is those who are most creative, full of energy, and happy that, many times, have difficulty fitting in. They are so full of great skills and enjoy life and work so much that they simply do not fit into the dark, corporate, limited-creativity world that much of our globe functions under. I hope that you don't lose yourself in this whole mess -- having said that, I have full confidence that a person of your mental abilities would have no problem learning new things and enjoying the challenge of something exciting. A friend told me yesterday that the only thing I have control over is my own attitude and my choice on how I respond to whatever is happening. And, boy oh boy, do I need that lesson right now. Hugs.

Joe Jubinville said...

If any inklings cross my radar, I'll pass them along.

Perhaps you shouldn't have left teaching. I saw this sign on a lawn today:

Yard Sale! Everything Go's!

Yeah. The pluralization of everything with apostrophes these days is bad enough, but now this! We're all gonna die.

Rox said...

I've yet to have one "career" so I feel totally unqualified to answer this.

Find what you love and do that. Everything else will fall into place.

Vic Mansfield said...

What? No golden parachute? No bonuses? What's a Calvinist to do? What ever comes next.

Blessings and prayers for the next adventure.

tornwordo said...

I want to make money from the computer too. Apparently it is possible to make money from blogging. Maybe a blog on curriculum writing?

Greg said...

I seem to find myself approaching a similar crossroads and appreciate the clarity of your thoughts on the subject. Best of luck to you.

May things we love to do find us both.